May 20 - 25
Seek the Lord, all you meek of the earth, who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger. (Zephaniah 2:3)
Daily Bible Verse
Monday, May 20 – Zephaniah 2:3
Tuesday, May 21 – Zephaniah 2:11
Wednesday, May 22 – Zephaniah 3:5
Thursday, May 23 – Zephaniah 3:9
Friday, May 24 – Zephaniah 3:12
Saturday, May 25 – Zephaniah 3:17
Bible Reading Guide
The first chapter of Zephaniah proclaimed the judgment of God. Last week we discovered that the sins of Judah included complacency and indifference toward God. In the second chapter Zephaniah issues a call to “seek the Lord”. It is a call to return to God and renounce the widespread idolatry that had overtaken the nation. Take time this week to review the sins of Judah (refer to 2 Kings 23) and consider how those same types of sins can creep into our lives today. Meditate on the instruction found in Zephaniah 2:3 and apply it on a daily basis.
Questions for Reflection and Response
- Read Zephaniah 2:3. What do you think “seek the Lord” meant for those living in Zephaniah’s day? What does it mean for you today?
- What is the relationship between “meekness” and the pursuit of “righteousness” and “humility” in seeking the Lord?
- Read 2 Kings 22:14-20. Zephaniah prophesied during the reign of King Josiah. Why did God spare King Josiah from the calamity that came to Judah?
- Read 2 Kings 23 to gain an idea of the level of idolatry in Judah at the time of Zephaniah. What are the practices that kindled the Lord’s anger?
Family Discussion Questions
- Talk about what it means to be humble and why it is important to God.
- Discuss how prayer and Bible study can help us to “seek” God.